Today it is your 12th birthday. Happy Birthday darling boy.
12 things then for today.
1. It was so important to me that you were a boy because your Dad had already got daughters from previous relationships. He was so proud to have a son.
2. You were born at 2 minutes past eleven in the morning and weighed 7 pounds and 2 ounces.
3. Your Dad stayed with me all through my labour not even going out for a cigarette and you know what that means.
4. You made your Grandad and Grandma so very happy, their first grandchild when they were into their Seventies.
5. You were the first blood relative I met.
6. The car broke down on the way to the hospital and your Dad would not ring for an ambulance as it wasn’t an “emergency” so we waited aboutg 3 hours for a taxi instead. You can imagine what I felt about that then and still do now.
7. In the chaos I had forgot my hospital bag so your first nappy and sleepsuit were borrowed from the hospital.
8. You were the best baby on the ward, sleeping or just looking around and not crying.
9. I failed miserably at breastfeeding and somehow you still turned into the intelligent and well-behaved son that we are so proud of. According to some media and experts, this is a total miracle.
10. I pushed so hard and quick that I caught everybody by surprise. I pushed so hard because I knew how much your Grandma wanted a grandchild. It was very motivating knowing I would please her by delivering you.
11. The machines malfunctioned and your Dad thought you had died. He kept smiling at me whilst in a total panic to keep me calm. He’s not a bad bloke really but don’t tell him I said that.
12. I loved you very much then and I still do now.
Happy Birthday sweetheart.