How life changes when you move to France is something you speculate about until you actually do it. In fact, doesn’t that apply to everything we take on in life? So much dreaming, wondering and stressing when the only real wisdom is to have a go.
So here are some ways my life has changed since relocating.
1. I feel more open to the world and new experiences – my door is open literally and metaphorically.
2. I have private outside space where I can sit and take in the sun including a super terrace with a view of the church. This is so much better than the small yard I had before.
3. Mornings are leisurely with no school runs or commutes to work to factor in. There might be a time for a little fun shopping or a coffee at a café where the locals are always friendly even if everyone does not know your name like in Cheers.
4. I find work is just something I do rather than the be all and end all of my existence. I wonder how many of us use work because we have not really found ourselves and a job title will do.
5. Housework is manageable and I think this is probably because the house is more attractive but also because of my more positive mind set and the help of the family.
6. After initial splurges, my eating is healthier and my exercise levels have gone up particularly with walking at the coast or around the lake.
7. Evenings do not have a set end point because we do not feel exhausted or stressed about the next day. We might cook, talk or watch a DVD. We might head out for a country walk and probably will. Life is more balanced.
8. We always were a team of five but that unit and the individual relationships within it seem stronger here.
There are lots of reasons to be cheerful here but I think those are the ones that really strike me. Life is good and better than it has been in a very long time.
Life changes when you move to France or it did for us anyway.